Water Filtration Systems
 

 

Bottled Water Companies
The Cold Hard Truth!

Looking for the best bottled water companies? Let me give you a little friendly advice. Don’t bother. The industry has problems.

bottled water companiesFirst of all, it’s not well regulated. In the United States, the Food and Drug administration sets the standards, if you can call them that.

The liquid in the bottle must be equivalent to tap water. No purification is required. Testing only need be conducted when the beverages are transported across state lines. 30-40% of them use regular tap-water. 80% contain BPA.

The best bottled water companies try to provide a high quality product. They do use modern purification methods. The mistake is made when they put the purified waters in a plastic bottle.

A monomer called BPA or Bisphenol-A is used to create the plastic. The plastic “leaks” BPA into the waters. BPA is a suspected carcinogen and a known endocrine disruptor. In the body, it acts like estrogen.

The amount of BPA that may be present depends on when the product was bottled. That may explain why only 80% of the tested products were found to contain it. The other 20% simply hadn’t been in the bottle long enough.

One of the best bottled water companies is Coca Cola. They’ve been in the business of supplying beverages to the public for a long time and as far as I know, Coke has never been recalled. On the other hand, Dasani, their purified drinking water was recalled because it contained bromate.

Bromate is a disinfection by-product. It is sometimes referred to as a DBP or a THM. It is created when bromide, a naturally occurring compound, reacts with ozone or chlorine and sunlight.

You see, Coca-cola uses tap water from local municipal suppliers and then uses reverse osmosis to filter it. Nearly all public suppliers use chlorine, most wells contain bromide and when exposed to the sunlight, you get bromate.

Reverse osmosis doesn’t remove bromate or other DBPs. It doesn’t even remove chlorine. The system can’t remove chemicals that are molecularly smaller than water or those that are gases. So, when you’re drinking Dasani, you may as well be drinking straight from your own tap.

For many years, Perrier was considered one of the best bottled water companies. The entire supply was recalled a few years ago because it tested positive for benzene. Perrier didn’t do the testing and for a while they tried to claim that the bottle tested was a rarity and the contamination was limited to that single lot.

So, other lots were tested, but the results were all the same. Benzene levels 15 times higher than that allowed for tap-water. Benzene is a known carcinogen. If present in large enough quantities, it causes illness and death. Small amounts over many years cause cancer.

My advice is this, buy a good home purifier and bottle your own in glass. It’s a more affordable option, better for the environment and better for your health. Stop looking for the best bottled water companies and look for a multi-stage selective filtration device that removes chemicals and other contaminants. That’s really the best choice.


Recommended Articles:

The Truth About Water Filtration Systems

The Most Common Disadvantages Of Reverse Osmosis

Compare Home Water Purifiers Before Taking the Plunge

Home Water Filter Systems - Which One Is Best For Your Family?

Countertop Water Filtration Systems Protect Your Water



 



Aquasana Review

20% Off Aquasana Coupon